Foods to avoid when you have Arthritis
If you suffer from Arthritis, you know how important it is to keep inflammation under control. The foods we eat can have an incredible impact on our bodies. Some can help inflammation while others cause inflammation.
Here are the top 5 foods to avoid unnecessary pain and inflammation.
- Anything with Gluten, not everyone is allergic to Gluten. Lots of people carry the gene for celiac disease but only 1% of the population actually has the disease. Gluten sensitivity is very common and if you already have arthritis it is better to stay away from it.
- Nightshade vegetables like egg plant, tomatoes and peppers cause inflammation.
- Processed fast food, these are full of trans-fat oils, which have an abundance of Omega-6 fatty acids. Omega 6 in low moderation is good for you, but in the amounts consumed in one fast food serving it increases inflammation in the body by triggering fibrin build up in the joints.
- Barbecued and Blackened Foods – Grilling alone doesn’t necessarily cause problems, its when you go for the pretty charred look on meats and vegetables that things start to go wrong. Cooking foods at high temperatures over an open flame releases a by-product called Advanced Glycation End (AGEs) are well known in the medical world to cause inflammation of not only the joints but the entire vascular system.
- Processed Sugar (Especially Fizzy drinks) Full sugar soda is laden with more sweeteners and artificial flavouring in one bottle than a person should ingest in a week. Processed sugar triggers your body to release pro-inflammatory cytokines. Cytokines are released by the immune system to send healing cells to sites of injury, infection or trauma. This is all well and good when you have something wrong, but it will cause unnecessary inflammation and pain in your joints if the healing cells have nothing to heal.
In addition to following diets always seek doctors advice for ongoing care with your arthritis.