We can’t go anywhere without hearing about COVID-19 these days. Of course, it’s good to stay on top of things and to stay informed about this deadly virus.
But one thing that many people can often forget about is what stressful and worrying situations such as what COVID-19 can do to our mental health.
For many there is a feeling of anxiety, being unsettled with a feeling of helplessness with a lack of control and security. Now imagine how those in the elderly community are feeling.
COVID-19 can infect anyone at any age, but people aged 60+ are more likely to suffer the more severe symptoms.
While every King & Queen need a castle, they don’t want to be in it 24/7. To reduce the risk of the elderly catching COVID-19 they are being asked to:
- Distance themselves from others
- Restrict their movements
This can lead to increased isolation and loneliness. While family and friends are keeping their distance to keep the elderly safe, it doesn’t stop many missing physical contact and it having a negative effect on their mental health.
Effects on Mental Health:
The constant disruption to their daily life can leave them feeling:
How to Mind the Mental Health of the Elderly:
- Gather contact details of family, friends and services close by just in case.
- Eat healthy and drink plenty of fluids – Lots of fruit and veg to help strengthen the immune system
- Encourage them to stay active. Small movements and stretches can help better their mood
- Help them to create routine – doing so will help them feel more in control of their life again.
- Contact them regularly, even if it is for a chat.
- Get them comfortable with technology. Show them how to use an android phone, work a laptop/tablet so they can engage more online with friends and family.
- Visit when you can. Keep social distancing in mind.
- Start a new hobby together & keep in contact with each other over your progress
Never be afraid to ask for help or to seek support from local services – they will always have someone on hand to help in circumstances such as these.
For the elderly that find it difficult to operate everyday items in the home – why not make things a little easier with out Uccello Kettle?